Tuesday, July 7, 2009

It's An Emotional Marathon

I know. The title. WTH now, you ask.

Well, first and most importantly, last week, after two weeks of trying to get him better, we had to put to sleep one of our kitties. Even up to the end, the vet wasn't 100% sure what was making him so sick, but we finally said enough's enough. We just couldn't see putting him through anymore crap. It broke our hearts, but it was the right thing to do.

BK was a feral who adopted us 3 years ago, and with whom I literally spent hours and hours getting him to trust us. He eventually did, and ended up being just one of the sweetest cats ever. He soon learned that life inside was much better than life outside, and took to sleeping on our bed for hours on end with our old guy, Fatso. We affectionately called them the Bed Sluts. I'm sure gonna miss that guy and his "kitty rain dancing."

Second - SOB is this weekend. Ack! Ironically, after all my boo hooing in a previous post, it's not the mileage I'm so much worried about anymore, it's the altitude. Bleck! Anybody got an extra oxygen tank? I remember that "somebody sitting on my chest" feeling from last year. But then I eventually bonked so bad, lack of oxygen was the least of my problems! This year my mantras are "keep stuffing your face with food" and "relentless forward motion." Inadequacy in the fueling department last year is what completely derailed me.

So that being said, I think I'm as ready as I'll ever be for that beast of a mountain. And I WILL be back here saying, "I DID IT!"

No comments: