Friday, March 7, 2008

Countdown to Pirates Cove

(Picture: From our trip to Savannah, GA)

March 22 will be our (Karen and I) second running of Pirates Cove, which is just a few miles north of San Francisco, outside Sausilito. It's hard to believe it's been a year since our first trail running event. First time around, we completed the 20km (12.43m). This year we're participating in the 30km (18.64m). It's a beautiful course, I just hope the fog isn't too thick this year. Last year the foggiest part of the run was also the most dangerous part. It was this skinny little trail on which there is no way you could pass someone, which was dug into the hillside. The fog was thick, the wind was trying to blow you into the hill, or off of it - interesting. It was after that run that Karen decided she needed to get contacts for running. She needed wipers on her glasses that day.

After this run, we'll be gearing up for the Forest Park run in Portland, OR, which will be our first attempt at an ultra - 50km (31.07 m). I have no doubt Karen will be able to complete the run, but I have doubts about my ability. If the past is any indication of the future, however, I'll end up injured or sick a few weeks prior to the race. Never fails. . . . Never. Right now I'm nursing a slight knee injury (no more squats) and trying to avoid having an MRI. About 10 years ago, I fell down the stairs (all 3 of them) to our garage and tore up my ankle. Grade 3 sprain. Would've been better off breaking my ankle. Ever since, I've had a slight problem with my knee. Doc says it's quite possible I had a slight tear there as well, but we can't tell without an MRI. I'm hoping that the knee strengthening exercises and anti-inflammatories will do the trick. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Anyway, I am very excited about the ultra, although very nervous, as well. But I know that if I can complete an ultra, anything is possible.

No comments: