Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Day 18

Six days since I last wrote.  Haven't felt like writing, and now God has answered my prayers and provided me with a really big transcription job that is going to keep me very busy for the next couple of weeks after work and on the weekends.

Anyway - so what's happened since my last report.  Let's see . . .

Saturday, the 15th, I had a 16-mile run at the very benign McKay Tract . . . .and it freaking worked me.  I didn't take any electrolytes with me, and barely ate anything over the 3:40 I was out there and only had water.  I haven't bonked that hard in awhile, but I deserved it.  Lesson?  Even though you're working on becoming a "better butter burner," at some point in the run (like after the 2-hour mark), you need to start thinking about ingesting some calories and refueling.  Point well taken.  My legs were tired for Sunday's 10, but I felt better than I anticipated, so it's nice to know I'm recovering fairly well.  Also, last week was my first 40+ mileage week in quite awhile, so I deserved to be just a tad bit tired.

I've cheated a couple of times on the weighing thing, but since tomorrow is the official weigh-in date, everything else is just a fairly tale.  That being said, both Saturday and Sunday after my runs, I weighted in at 141.  Woot Woot!  Haven't seen that number in ages!  I don't anticipate my weight being that low tomorrow morning, but it sure was nice to see for a short time.

Sunday, I tried my hand at making black bean and hamburger meatballs.  Sauteed up half an onion and a bunch of garlic, then pureed that with the beans, then hand mixed it all together with the meat, adding an egg as a binder.  If I'd been smart, I would've added some shredded cheese.  Next time.

I didn't season everything enough, and there was sort of a different texture, but overall I was pleased with the results.  I made "spaghetti noodles" using thinly sliced zucchini, dumped those into some spaghetti sauce to simmer and soften up, and sauteed Brussel sprouts, mustard greens, onions, and garlic separately, then slapped it all together on a plate.  It was good!  The Hub - He took the meatballs and wrapped them in a tortilla with lettuce, ketchup, and mustard.  *sigh*

I've ordered a sample of a product call UCAN that an on-line ultra runner buddy, who is a low carb eater, is using, as well as some almond butter packets.  Hopefully I'll get it before this weekend's long runs so I can begin experimenting.

2 comments:

Karen said...

My first higher mileage week each season has a few pound drop in it too from the previous week.

I can't believe you could go 3:40 without anything. I'm sure I would have passed out well before three hours. Will you be racing with more fuel or no?

fatozzig said...

I'm experimenting on the fuel thing. Since I'm not eating the high carb stuff, I'm having to figure it out. I've been taking nuts and raisins with me, but last weekend I obviously didn't eat enough. I'll take the same this weekend - but more of it - as well as some cheese, and I'm hoping a small order of almond butter packets will come in prior to Saturday so I can give that a whirl.

I also ordered a sample packet of a product called UCAN that I've been discussing with an on-line running cohort who had to change his diet due to diabetes. I've read and heard some good stuff about the UCAN, so another experiment.

Memorial Day Weekend I have a big 3-day, 70-mile, running weekend planned with my buddies, Kate and Karen, so hopefully I will have all this ironed out by then.