Friday, March 7, 2014

Day 7 - The Seduction of Birthday Cake

See that picture?  There's one of those suckers sitting in the kitchen here at work RIGHT NOW from one of the best bakeries in town.  ACK!!!  I sniffed it, then walked away and commiserated with a co-worker who can't eat it because of severe food allergies.  At least it gives us something more to bond over - foods we can't eat.

Yes, I could cheat, but that'd be cheating, right?  And how would I feel about  myself after work?  "A moment on the lips . . . forever scarred by your own lack of self-control."

I did, however, purchase myself a high-quality chocolate bar this morning and will spend the next couple of weeks letting that be my sweet treat in the afternoon.  Just a small amount, letting it slowly melt in my mouth.

Shorty made a wonderful beef and veggie soup day before yesterday.  A bowl full of warmy goodness with a dollop of wonderful sour cream - delish!

I've been eating a couple of hard boiled eggs with butter in the late afternoon, and that seems to get me through to dinner since, generally, we don't eat 'til around 6:30/7:00.  Even though I kept telling myself "Don't do it!", I got on the scales this morning, fully clothed, but was happy with what registered.  Remove the clothing (get your minds out of the gutter), and things are good.

Last night did my first true run monitoring my HR.  Had to do it manually, but ugh! it's slow going!  My 7 miles took me 10 minutes longer than usually, and that's on a fairly flat course.  I foresee my week long runs taking quite a bit longer.  BUT - I know in the end all this will be worth it.  Visualize the finish line!  Visualize the destination! Your dreams will come true!

Meals yesterday:

Breakfast - Fruit and yogurt
Snack - (I can't remember)
Lunch -  Chicken breast and salad (was at a continuing ed class)
Snack - 2 hard boiled eggs with butter and four celery sticks with peanut butter
Dinner - 1 1/2 bowls of beef veggie soup with sour cream
Treat - About a tablespoon of peanut butter

PS - The Hub is still not convinced re the whole full fat thing and told me there is new research that a diet rich in proteins and fats is not good for you.  My question - what kinds of protein and fat are we talking about?  Besides, dontcha know that eventually even breathing will kill you?  Okay, maybe it's the lack of breathing that actually kills you.  I don't know.  I'm sure there's research out there on the subject.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Pretty much everything will kill you. It's like the margarine vs. butter debate every day. I admit I'm with your husband on this, for my diet at least, I'm glad you're trying to find something that works for you.

Personally, my body has a tough time digesting things that are high in fat, so I go with a mostly veggie and whole foods diet of homemade things(except when I'm on a long run, then it's all candy candy candy).

Do your own thing, although I know it can be tough if the husband isn't on board. Only you know what works for you!